The weather was starting to get cold as fall moved in. I was yearning to bake and craving peanut butter. I didn't want anything too sweet though. This is my savory version of PB classic.
Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
1/2 c butter
1 c smooth peanut butter
1 1/4 c light brown sugar
3 tbs soy milk
1 egg1 c white flour
3/4 c spelt flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 12 oz. bag peanut butter chips
This page is devoted to tantalizing daydreams that turn into yummy bites of bliss. Mmmmmm.....
This year the annual family BBQ fell on labor day weekend. A few weeks back my cousin and I were flipping through the food network magazine - love it- and he pointed out a burger cake. It looked quite neat so when I remembered it it seemed like the perfect dessert to bring. So, this is an adapted version. It really was not that hard and thankfully, a big hit!
Burger Cake1 box vanilla pudding
2 boxes favorite cake mix (1 van, 1 choc)
4 large eggs
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c canola oil
1 tub or box prepared white icing
1/8 c cocoa powder
Red and yellow food coloring
Green fruit rollup or fruit leather (I used sweet&sour flavor kickers fruit by the foot)
Rice puffs cereal
- Make pudding as directed. Add red food coloring a few drops at a time and mix into pudding until a cheesy yellow color is achieved. Transfer pudding to dish and refrigerate immediately.
- Meanwhile prepare cake mixes as directed, and add the eggs, buttermilk and oil to the vanilla cake mix. Pour chocolate cake mix into a round 8x8 greased baking pan. Split vanilla mix into greased 8x8 baking pan and pyrex baking bowl (you can use less for pan as this will be the bottom bun. Bake as mixes direct or until inserted knife comes out of cake center clean. Cakes should spring back slightly when you touch the tops. I would allow 30-45 minutes for cakes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes afterwards.
- While cakes are baking add cocoa powder and yellow food coloring to make icing light brown for top of bun. Set aside in fridge.
- Unmold cakes gently onto a baking rack and let cool longer, if you wish before assembling. To assemble, place the bottom bun on your serving platter. Carefully peel the green fruit roll-up off and place on top of edge of bun for lettuce.
- Next, gently hold chocolate burger cake in one palm and use other hand to spatula icing around the edge. This part is messy so enlist children if you have them! I just wiped the counter up afterwards. Gently shake chocolate crunchies onto iced area over bowl until it looks like a burger edge. Spread pudding on top of burger for the mustard layer. Be careful to avoid too much spillover.
- Place top bun on wax paper and ice it. Transfer to freezer to harden for 15 minutes. C arefully peel off wax paper and place burger on top of bun. It will be a little wobbly, but that's ok. Sprinkle on rice puffs to mimic sesame seed bun. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy :)
Usually I turn to something with salt or chocolate. This time it was pizza! I made 3 different versions. Nothing beats fresh toppings on crusty bread :)